Wednesday 14 August 2013

Just a little rant

Now, I'm not normally one to rant about anything on the internet, but I feel like this requires a rant. 
Bear with me here.

Now, admittedly, I don't know a lot about Australia's political system, but disturbingly, I've noticed that I seem to know more than most of my friends. I understand that politics doesn't interest some people, and others have far more important things to worry about, but it seems to me a pretty crucial part of Australian life. 
This isn't me trying to get any readers to vote for a particular party, this is me trying to get you guys just to VOTE. PROPERLY. Some people I've spoken to have said they have blank voted before. 

White, upper class men in England got the vote around 1800. 
Women gained the vote in 1902. that was 111 years ago.
Aboriginal people got the Commonwealth vote in 1962. 

If you look outside Australia, there are millions of people all over the world who do not have the right to vote for anything. People are fighting and dying for what we take for granted. In some countries, people cue for up to ten hours in order to cast their vote. In many others, the voting system is corrupt, and people's votes don't matter at all. 
If you don't believe me, research the local Zimbabwean elections. Or the wars occurring in places such as Syria. 

Now, I'm not asking you all to start a politics degree and join your local political group. All I'm asking is you take 10 or 20 minutes before September 7th to do a quick Google search on the various parties and their policies. Or complete one of these voting quizzes, like the ABC's Voting Compass. 

Otherwise, you have no right to complain about the government, or the opposition. Nor do you have the right to complain about the state of the country. Or the taxes. Or asylum seekers. Or gay marriage. Or climate change. 
You get the idea. 

Seriously it takes 10 minutes. 
And remember, look at policies, because the leaders are often a very poor representation of... humanity? Seriously. Policies. 

Sorry to be dull guys, I'm not sure how many of you will read this, but hopefully it influences someone.

Be good!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment